Foreclosure data is public record information available from the Wisconsin Circuit Court website. We use this data to update our monthly foreclosure statistics. We also use the data to research individual properties on behalf of buyers, and you can do this same type of research yourself.
Collecting the data is easy and takes only a few minutes of time. For example, here's how we identified the Dane County foreclosures that were filed in June, 2008:
- Go to the Wisconsin Circuit Court website at http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl.
- Click "I Agree".
- Click "Advanced Search" to proceed to the search criteria page.
- Select "Dane" for the County field.
- Select "Civil" for the Case Type field.
- Enter a date of "6/1/2008" in the Filing Date field; then specify a reporting period of "30 Days".
- In the Class Code field, enter a code of "30404", for Foreclosure of Mortgage.
- Click "Search".
If you run through the above steps yourself, you'll see a total of 89 Dane County foreclosures were filed in the month of June. For each of these cases, you'll be able to drill down into the case details to view information about the plaintiff, defendant and the property (we've omitted defendant and property details from the screen shot below).
The circuit court website provides dozens of different search parameters, and it's easy to use these settings to target a specific property. Feel free to contact us if you should need any assistance. We'll be happy to help.
How to search for Madison, Dane County and South Central Wisconsin foreclosuresEight key questionsHow to research delinquent property taxesHow to research a home's listing historyHow to research a seller's mortgage
This information is provided courtesy of Dan Miller, Shawn Kriewaldt, Chris Venden, Dasha Shy, and Jodi Shehadi of Keller Williams Realty and DaneCountyMarket.com. For more information, please contact:
Don't forget: if you're buying or selling, whether your timeline is 3 months or 3 years, we can help.
Track the Market and Search for Real Estate
- Did you know you can receive our updates via email? Just go to our newsletter sign-up, enter your email address, and select your topic(s) of interest.
- Our real estate tools are easy-to-use. Learn how you can simplify your search by saving your search settings, receiving email updates, and tracking your own list of "favorite" properties.